Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 16/140: 3 Mile Walk and Puppy Training

Today was one of those days where I had to figure out how to get everything in.  There were storms forecasted for today also.  I already had my mind made up that even if it rained, I would walk.  I won't walk in a storm, but a little rain never hurt anyone.  And we'll have to suck it up on race day any way!

I am fortunate enough to have found a professional dog trainer willing to meet with Solomon and I on Tuesday mornings for an hour to give me tips.  It has been an unbelievable blessing so I don't want to ever miss a session.  We are currently working on sit, stay, heel, down, and come. We are teaching him  german commands because I plan to join a schutzhund club at some point.  I really miss owning a horse and so my german shepherds have filled the void and become my new love.  Esther and Solomon are such special dogs.  They both have their own unique personality and are such a couple of goof balls.  They make me laugh at their constant antics.  When they are outside together they actually play hide and seek.  One will will hide behind the wheel barrow and when the other finds their location it is GAME ON!  Full bore running across the yard, tackling each other and, of course, there are plenty of teeth and growling, but HEY what else would a couple GSD's do?!  Lol.  

So back to Solomon's training.  We are currently working on 4 commands:

Sit "Sitz" in German, pronounced "Sets."
Down "Platz" in German, pronounced "Plots."
Stay "Bleip" in German, pronounced "Blipe."
Heel "Fuss" in German, pronounced "Foos."

We typically work with him in 5 minute increments, then let him have a 5 minute rest.  He's really made a ton of progress in just 3 sessions.  Afterwards he is always soooo tired, hahaha.  Here are some cute pics from after his training session.

I'm not tired!


Well maybe I'm just a little tired...

I will NOT succumb!

Okay I'm out!!!

So I get home from working with Solomon, and there were SOOO many things I really could have done.  Laundry, dishes, organizing, and a ton of other things.  But I knew if I put off my walk it would not get done and then I would be stuck walking 3 miles on the treadmill which drags by soooo bad!!  So I got my gear on, sucked it up, and walked!  I've noticed people driving by are starting to honk and wave.  A few are familiar faces!!  As always, Runkeeper was my coach, informing me every 5 minutes how I was doing.  It really breaks up the walk and gives me a renewed focus!!

Back from another 3 mile walk!








No comments:

Post a Comment